Sneezing, heaviness in the head, stiffness and pain in body are Prodromal symptoms of Common cold or Pratishyaya. Specific symptoms of Vatika, Paittika, Kaphaja and Sannipataja varieties of Praitishyaya are as follows.
1. Vatika Pratishyaya: Obstruction to the nasal passage due to inflammation, watery discharge from the nose, excessive sneezing. Change in the voice and dryness of throat are the common symptoms of Vatika Pratishyaya.
2. Paittika Pratishyaya: Yellow coloured warm discharge from the nose and feeling of hotness are the main symptoms of Paittika Pratishyaya.
3. Kaphaja Pratishyaya: White coloured cold discharge from the nose, heaviness in the head are the main symptoms of Kaphaja pratishyaya.
4. Sannipataja Pratishyaya: Frequent attacks of coryza are due to Sannipataja Pratishyaya.
Asam. : Panilaga
Beng. : Pratishyaya, Sardi
Dogr. : Jukam, Resha
Guj. : Sardi
Hind. : Sardi, Jukhama
Kan. : Negadi sīta
Maly. : Mukh-Olichil
Mra . : Sardi
Ori. : Sardi
Panj. : Jukama
Tam. : Nira Kam Jalathodam
Tel. : Jalubu
Eng. : Coryza, Common cold
Simple kitchen based Preparations
1. Decoction of equal part of Drakshā (raisin), Maricha (black pepper), leaf of Vasa (vasaka), Tvak-Dalachīni (cinnamon bark) and Yashṭimadhu (glycyrrhiza) – 14 to 28 ml. is to be taken with 5 to 10 g. sharkara (raw sugar) thrice a day.
2 .Deccoction of Tulasi leaves and ginger 15ml mixed with1gm black pepper powder,may be taken twice daily.
1. Tribhuvana Kirtī Rasa: 1 to 2 pill, may be taken with honey sufficient to make a paste or with-7 to 14 ml. juice of Ardraka (ginger) juice, twice a day.
2. Naga Guṭika: 1 to 2 Vaaī, to be taken with 7 to 14 ml. juice of leaf of Tulasī (sacred basil) and 60 to 120 mg. powdered bark of Kaṭphala (box myrtle) twice a day.
3 .Godanti Mishran: 2-4 tablets twice daily with tea of tulasi (holy basil)and ginger.
4 .Dashmula katutrayam Kashayam:10-20Ml twice daily empty stomch with boiled warm water.
5. Gorochanadi pill :1 pill mixed with 10 ml. of Dashmula katutrayam kashayam twice daily empty stomach
6 . Chukkumthippalyadi gulika : 1-2 pills twice daily mixed with ginger or tulasi (Basil) juice quantity sufficient.
1. Prepare Nasya of powdered Shunthī (dried ginger) – 600 mg. in 5 to 10 ml. milk. Its 2 to 4 drops to be instilled in the nose. It is useful for stuffy nose.
2 .Rashnadi churnam : to be applied on head around bregma or snuffed into the nose frequently
3. Rhizomes of Curcuma caesia, (black turmeric or black zedoary )and dried amlaa(Indian gooseberry) mixed with a pinch of black pepper to be applied on fore head in the form of paste made with breast milk
1 Aryavaidyan P.V.Ram varier,Arya vaidya chikitsa marg,The Arya vaidya pharmacy (CBE)Ltd.Coimbatore 18,1974
2. : HAND BOOK OF DOMESTIC MEDICINE AND COMMON AYURVEDIC REMEDIES, Central Council for Research in Ayurvedic Sciences (CCRAS), Department of AYUSH, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India, New Delhi 2005